Norway spruce Wills Zwerg
When designing a courtyard or creating a winter garden, everyone carefully approaches the choice of flowers, trees and bushes, composing a composition by color and compatibility with each other. Will's Zwerg spruce is great for decoration, the main thing is to properly approach the care and landing.
Wills Zwerg is a dwarf species of the ordinary narrow-columned spruce, which grows slowly, tolerates frosts and goes well with other plants. At the age of 20, it reaches a height of no more than 2 m. By themselves, they are narrow: the width usually does not exceed a meter.
Did you know? Inhaling aromas of spruce saturates the body with useful trace elements, but people with migraines and respiratory diseases are contraindicated for a long time to be around, as this can trigger an attack of headache, asthma or just coughing.
Its shoots and branches are hard and dense, the needles are short and soft, and the crown is quite thick, partly resembles a cone, but loosens with age. Actively used in the design and decoration of the area. The ovoid buds, with a small resin content, may be brown or orange. They are evenly distributed, most often in the upper part of the growth. Shoots are a little shiny and slightly lowered down, quickly acquire a dark yellow hue. The needles are short, not more than 1.5 cm.
In youth, the needles have a light green beautiful shade. With age, it is replaced by a dark and saturated green
In landscape design
Shrub is actively used in landscape design and is a valuable and rare species for conifer collectors.. Due to its dwarfism, spruce fits perfectly into complex compositions, full of different colors and species, and in primitive rock gardens.
Did you know? Broths, ointments and essential oils are extracted from wood, buds and spruce shoots, which have a positive effect on the body, help fight intoxication, and can even act as an anesthetic.
In order to successfully grow spruce, it is necessary to create some special conditions:
- the landing site should be lit;
- the soil needs fresh, slightly acidic;
- air must constantly and freely circulate. However, frequent and strong wind gusts are not desirable.
Features of planting and care
During planting and further care, you should follow a few simple steps and rules:
- The main thing is to choose a place for planting away from groundwater, otherwise the plant simply does not take root.
- It is necessary to put a layer of sand in a dug hole of 70 cm, which will be equal to 15 cm in thickness.
- Maintain a distance between each seedling of at least 2 m.
- For a more comfortable growth, it is recommended to loosen the earth 5 cm in depth, and in winter insulate the trunk with a layer of peat up to 6 cm thick.
- These shrubs should not be pruned, but if they begin to represent a hedge, garden shears need to cut off all dry and yellowed parts, branches.It is best to do this in May: during the summer period, the spruce will have time to collect enough necessary substances for the future.
- Will's Zwerg does not tolerate stagnant water. Therefore, you need to water each plant once a week: for each spruce 10 liters in the hot period, and in the cold - 2 times less.
Diseases, pests and their control
It is important to monitor the health of shrubs, and then there will be no diseases: fertilize in time, create the necessary conditions, monitor the spread of ants and other insects around. If the plant is already sick or is a carrier of pests, the main thing is to act with confidence and caution.
Important! The tree grows poorly in densely populated places and cities. It is best to plant it in the wilderness, further from the factories and car exhausts.
A few actions that will help in the fight against diseases:
- The treatment of shoots and the trunk with a solution of liquid soap, which will kill most pathogens.
- Remove dry needles and burn.
- With a large spread of pests, you need to treat the plant with potent pesticides.
- Monitor the condition of the soil, periodically fertilize and cover.
If we talk in more detail specifically about harmful microorganisms that can be controlled by spraying with insecticides, then pests usually attack the spruce:
- bark beetles;
- spider mite;
Important! To get rid of ticks, there will be few pesticides alone. It is recommended to use and spray plants with acaricides.
In addition, if the shrub is in a place with high humidity, there is a risk of fungus mold. In this case, you need to fight using special fungicides.Preliminarily, it is better to consult about the dosage with the seller or some experienced gardener.
Knowing how to plant and care for spruce, you can grow a beautiful and eye-pleasing plant. It will complement any garden, courtyard and even a balcony, the main thing is to treat it with love and treat pests in time.