Eating Blueberries During Pregnancy
A developing fetus in the womb of a woman is constantly in need of nutrients. He receives them from the mother’s body, so she should regularly replenish their balance. It is best to get the necessary elements from natural products. These include blueberries. Read about the features of its use during pregnancy.
Is it possible to eat blueberries for women in position
Black berries - a storehouse of vitamins, potassium, copper, iron, zinc, calcium - all that is needed by the growing body and expectant mother to maintain health. In addition, it is a low-calorie product and a source of pantothenic acid, pectins that help cleanse the intestines, so blueberries are not only possible, but also should be consumed by women in position. The main thing: to know the measure, so as not to harm yourself and the baby.
The benefits and harms of eating blueberries to pregnant women
- The benefits of the berry for pregnant women are as follows:
- Strengthens the bones of the fetus and mother, improves its condition of hair, skin, teeth.
- Lowers blood sugar.
- Creates a feeling of full stomach, thereby avoiding overeating.
- Normalizes hemoglobin level.
- Improves vascular elasticity and overall cardiovascular function.
- Improves eyesight.
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent.
- Normalizes the work of the digestive tract.
- It improves metabolism.
- Regulates cholesterol.
- Berries compote prevents toxicosis.
- The negative effect of blueberries on the body of a pregnant woman is possible with its abuse. This may cause:
- allergies (rash, anaphylactic shock, urticaria);
- hypercalcemia (excess calcium can lead to difficulties in delivery);
- oxalaturia (oxalic acid accumulates in the kidneys and provokes the appearance of stones);
- constipation, deterioration of the digestive tract.
Important! Women with urolithiasis and an allergic reaction to blueberries are prohibited from using it.
Dosage and use at different periods of pregnancy
The dose that does not harm the woman in position is 90 g (3 tbsp.) Blueberries per day. She can not replace the main meal. It can only be used as an analogue of a favorite treat eaten after meals. 200–400 g of blueberry fruit juice, decoction, jelly or tea made using berries and leaves of the plant are allowed.
Most of all, the expectant mother begins to need nutrients from the second trimester of pregnancy (from the 14th week of gestation). During this period, the volume of blood increases, and all calcium reserves are spent on the structure of the skeleton of the fetus. In the first and third trimesters of pregnancy, blueberries bring less benefit to the female body.
Did you know? Vaccinium myrtillus — Latin name for blueberries. The word Myrtillocactus (Myrtillocactus) was formed from it. — the name of the genus of cacti, the fruits of which are very similar to blueberries.
Ways to use
The black berry itself is very tasty, so it can be consumed in its purest form. It goes well with cereals, salads. You can also add it to yoghurts, kefirs, prepare smoothies from it. Fresh fruit with the addition of blueberries will saturate the body with the necessary vitamins and minerals. With the help of berries you can make useful a favorite delicacy of many women - ice cream.
For the winter, you can cook a tasty and healthy treat - blueberries with sugar. It is enough to mix 1 tbsp. fruits with 1 tbsp. l Sahara. Such a delicacy can be stored all winter. It is allowed to eat no more than 3 tbsp. in a day.
Did you know? In the astronaut's menu, blueberries are necessarily present.
Various medicines can be prepared from the berry, which will become an alternative to chemicals that are unacceptable during pregnancy:
- 2 tbsp. fruit juice with a glass of warm water - you will get a tool for gargling the throat, mouth with stomatitis and colds.
- Tea made from dried leaves and fruits is an excellent antipyretic and cold medicine.
- A decoction of leaves is a remedy against skin diseases. Need to mix 2 tbsp. raw materials, pour a glass of boiling water, insist an hour. Apply as a lotion.
- 40 g of fresh fruit before eating will relieve the discomfort caused by a stomach ulcer.
- A couple of dried berries or jelly from them will relieve indigestion.
During pregnancy, you must be extremely careful with foods that can cause allergies. Blueberries can easily cause an allergic reaction in the presence of immunity of one of its components. The body of a woman in position is very weakened, therefore more sensitive to everything.Even if before you had no allergy to the berry, you need to introduce it into the diet gradually. First, you should eat a couple of berries and watch the reaction of the body. If everything is fine, continue to gradually increase the dose to the permitted one.
The use of fruits for problems with the biliary system is contraindicated. Juice is undesirable for women with biliary dyskinesia. Having a choleretic and diuretic property, blueberries are able to provoke the movement of stones, which will cause cramping and pain.
Important! In order to protect yourself from problems, it is advisable to consult a doctor before introducing this berry into the diet.