Mowing and shaping larch in the garden
Coniferous trees have always attracted people, especially those involved in landscape design, landscaping. Special attention should be paid to larch, which is not so whimsical in the care and control of it.
The plant can easily tolerate changes in ambient temperature, is not afraid of summer heat, frost. The tree is actively used to form beautiful landscaping, but you need to know how to achieve the desired effect to get a beautiful larch. Trimming and shaping will help achieve the desired results.
When can I cut larch in the garden?
To create a beautiful tree with a small and compact crown, you must perform planned pruning. To do this, choose the period of early spring, when the plant is not yet overgrown with buds. Young branches need to be shortened by a couple of buds. But the tree of the Pendula variety (weeping) is thinned 1 time every 3 years to eliminate half the length. This allows the plant to give more light and oxygen.
Did you know? Larch is considered a long-lived tree. The average age of the tree — 300–400 years Some specimens survived to 800 years.
It is necessary to form a plant with a certain periodicity, adhering to specific deadlines. Depending on the type and type of tree, the process may differ, so there are characteristic features caused by the speed of vegetation.
Among the general rules are:
- Large pruning is performed exclusively during larch dormancy. The best period will be the end of winter, when frosts are already retreating.
- With the onset of spring, before the appearance of buds, the first pruning is performed to correct the shape, create hedges.
- In summer, haircuts are allowed to form a tree.
It is better to use additional processing than to skip the planned removal of branches, because strong growth can darken the lower part, which adversely affects the plant and the entire "garden". The main limitation in summer is heat. The end of the haircut is considered autumn, since the shoots need to grow stronger and prepare for winter.
In winter, larch undergoes decay of the crown under the pressure of snow masses, so it is recommended to make a bunch of branches with twine. Vertical forms can also get sunburn in the summer, so they need to be covered in the heat.
How to trim and shape the crown of larch
The constant formation of the crown makes it possible to preserve the decorative appearance of the tree, and also eliminates thickening, which can cause infectious diseases, fungus.
There are 3 variations for trimming this tree species:
- Sanitary - used in situations where larch is affected by diseases or insects. To do this, remove all damaged branches, dry shoots, mold-affected areas, places with moss. This procedure helps to eliminate the cap (neoplasm on the cortex), which develops in case of violation of the rules of planting and care.
- Anti-aging - It is used to improve the appearance, restore decorativeness, even the old larch. The procedure is performed in early autumn or spring. For execution, weak branches are removed, 1/3 of the shoots are cut off, which makes it possible for new ones to appear.
- Formative - A special pruning, which is performed for young larch and allows you to create the right crown. It is best to start work with the advent of spring, before sap flow has begun. In the process, excess shoots that grow incorrectly and disrupt the general appearance of the plant are eliminated.Additionally, the growth sites are cut so that the crown is magnificent.
Important! Trimming is only necessary with a sharp garden tool. A special secateurs are great for this. Before starting work, it must be disinfected.
Trimming ordinary larch is performed only after the needles are dumped, except for the sanitary method, when damaged or dry parts can be repaired in the summer. Larch needs to be prepared for the winter period. To do this, in the spring you need to do sanitary pruning and remove dry shoots in the summer.
Under the young plant, the earth is slightly loosened and carefully watered, after which they put mulch. For 2-year-old seedlings, it will be necessary to make shelter with a non-woven material, a spruce can also be used. An adult plant does not require such care, it may not be warmed, so caring for it is much easier.
The easiest way to care for European larch. This type of tree is characterized by resistance to cold and severe frost. Due to its unpretentiousness, anyone can cope with the maintenance of this tree, even without much experience.
Video: pruning larch
To not grow up
The main point of larch growth is the top. So that the tree does not grow in height, it is enough to trim the top to 10 cm, after which there will be no growth up. Any conifers can be pruned without fear. This applies to the top and side shoots.
However, problems can be with an adult plant. It does not need to be cut much. It will be enough to cut the top of the head initially at the level of 1.5–3 m. After a year, you need to assess the condition: if the growth is weak, then you should leave everything unchanged and wait a certain period.
Did you know? Larch can absorb harmful substances from the air, exhaust fumes, therefore, it is recommended to plant a plant near arbors, places for rest in order to get maximum air purity.
After that, it will be possible to remove the side shoots to create the crown of the correct shape. These manipulations will make the larch beautiful, magnificent, but annually it will be necessary to trim the upper part a bit (to do the work only with the advent of spring, otherwise, the crown will quickly grow up).
How to prune grown larch
It is difficult for any adult larch to tolerate pruning, even if it concerns dry branches on the crown or diseased areas. Before starting work, a thorough inspection and assessment of the situation will be required.. You may not need to trim anything.
Care for the formation of a tree is not carried out every year without fail. This can only be done to eliminate sick, damaged areas. Formation must begin when it is planned to create a decoration or hedge on the site. Based on this, the form is determined: a bush or a tree, but the process does not change and will be similar for two situations.
Small branches are cut by secateurs, and large ones can be sawn off with a hacksaw. Removal of shoots is carried out carefully so that all buds in a state of sleep survive and give new sprouts. Up to 4 shoots often form at the location of the removed branchwhich will be strong, but on weak larch there are fewer of them. This procedure allows you to make the crown rounded.
For an adult tree, heal pruning is often used, creating the correct shape. To do this, dry, old branches are cut, part of the shoots and places affected by diseases are removed. If the crown is dense, then sawing of skeletal branches is allowed. The sanitary type of formation is used for a trunk that does not grow correctly, at an angle.
Adult Larch Blind Haircut
Blind haircut involves the removal of all young shoots that are 1 year old. For this, garden scissors are used, and the placement of the kidneys does not matter. The technique is used to create hedges and large figures of wood.
You should start the procedure in August and choose non-sunny, cool days for this. It is recommended to water the larch before cutting (per day). Blind pruning in dry or hot weather is not recommended, since the liquid quickly evaporates from the cut points, which causes the drill ends to brown and dry.
In addition, a moistened tree is easier to shape, and the tool will not blunt. When choosing a shape, how to cut a larch, you need to adhere to a natural look or close to it. This simplifies care than creating forms that are not characteristic of the plant.
Important! Larch is a very photophilous plant, in the shade it almost grows. This must be taken into account when placing the tree on the site.
How to make nivaki from larch
The nivaki technique (translated from Japanese means "garden tree") helps make the garden unusual, because the trees in it will be trimmed or shaped in a special way. But for this you need to know a few rules. The tree itself must grow to get the right size for the procedure. Be sure to carry out the process on a healthy larch to eliminate stressful situations.
The step-by-step procedure is as follows:
- In the spring, before the buds appear, skeletal branches are removed, except for those that will be used to form the "plate". It is necessary to exclude the appearance of hemp, the total thickness of the branches should not exceed 2 cm. All places of the cut are treated with garden varnish or special paint.
- On the other branches, the strongest shoot is removed so that the "plate" grows, after which the whorls are removed for the normal growth of the remaining branches.
- Spacers and extensions are installed to set the desired direction of branch growth. All parts of the tree should not be obscured. After thickening the branches, you need to change the placement of the spacers in order to exclude constrictions on the bark.
- After a year, the whorls are removed, except for the last, in order to accelerate the creation of the desired shape.
- Further, after the development of growths on the whorls, you need to cut 1/3 of the length, based on the shape of the "plate". Everything that grows down should be cut or directed up manually. You need to perform actions continuously until the desired size is reached.
After the operation, you need to constantly trim the "plates" and do thinning every 3 years.
Video: Nivaki from larch
PART 1 PART 2
As you can see, pruning and forming larch in the garden is a simple process that even a beginner gardener can do. To form a beautiful tree, you need to follow simple rules, thanks to which your larch will get an attractive and neat appearance.