How to fry pine nuts
Pine nuts are small seeds that can be obtained from certain tree species from the Pinus genus of the Pine family. The kernels of these so-called seeds are used in various fields: cosmetology, medicine and cooking. The nuts in question are consumed both raw and roasted. Heat treatment of the kernels must be carried out in accordance with certain rules, so as not to spoil their taste.
Do I need to fry pine nuts
Many housewives, when purchasing this product, think about the need to fry them.. Nutritionists and healthcare providers unanimously insist on heat treatment of pine nuts. This procedure will primarily neutralize the nucleus from harmful microorganisms.
There are frequent cases of poisoning with the product in question, the cause of which is a defeat of the gastrointestinal tract by Escherichia coli, Salmonella or fungus. These microorganisms get on nuts as a result of harvesting from land that is full of various bacteria, as well as when stored improperly.
Important! There is also the possibility of poisoning with aflatoxins, which can be contained in cedar kernels if humidity and temperature conditions were violated during storage of the product. The danger of this toxic carcinogen is that it is quite heat-resistant. Therefore, it is recommended to buy the product from a trusted seller.
It should be borne in mind that if you fry the kernels, then they will not only change color and taste, but also their chemical composition. During heat treatment, nuts lose moisture, thereby reducing weight. The calorie content and fat content is slightly higher for a fried product than for a raw one, and the amount of protein and carbohydrates is almost identical.
Pine Nuts Roasting Methods
There are several ways to heat treat these seeds.
The methods considered include:
- in a pan (with and without shell);
- in the oven;
- in the microwave.
Roasted peeled nuts
Cooking kernels without shells in a pan is recommended to be carried out without adding vegetable oil. This is because, by its nature, the product in question is quite oily, which does not require additional fat.
The procedure is carried out as follows:
- It is necessary to separate the kernels from the shell.
- Dry pan should be put on a small fire.
- Distribute nuts evenly in well-heated dishes.
- If necessary, the kernels can be sprinkled with salt or other spices.
- Seeds must be constantly mixed until they are completely covered with a brown tint. After this, the fried kernels should be poured into a clean bowl.
Heat treatment of unpeeled pine nuts in a pan has a double effect. This contributes to an easier cleaning of the cores from the outer shell, which loses its strength due to exposure to high temperature, as well as obtaining a finished fried product with a pleasant aroma and mouth-watering taste.
The roasting process is accompanied by such actions:
- Prepare the nuts, having previously cleared them of debris. If there is a lot of product, then it must be divided and fry in portions.
- Pour the unrefined seeds into a preheated dry pan.
- Fry over low heat, constantly stirring, until the seeds darken and a cracking effect appears.
Cooking in the oven or microwave
A convenient way is considered to be a method of roasting pine nuts in an oven. In this case, you need to know how much to fry and monitor the temperature.This method is suitable for both peeled kernels and inshell grains.
The first option involves the following steps:
- Rinse the pine nuts well under running water.
- The oven should be heated to 160 ° C.
- The non-dried product is uniformly laid out on a baking sheet covered with parchment.
- Pine nuts are put in the oven for a quarter of an hour.
- After that, remove the pan from the oven, giving them time to cool.
- The product should be laid out on a towel, and on top also covered with a thick cloth and walk with a rolling pin, crushing a little on the nuts.
As a result of such actions, the shell should burst, thereby allowing the kernels to separate well from the upper shell. The second option is to prepare peeled grains in the oven.
To do this, you must perform a number of specific actions:
- Pine nuts must be prepared for heat treatment: clean from debris, remove the shell, rinse the kernels well under running water.
- It is recommended that the oven be pre-calcined to 150 ° C.
- Baking sheet or other container for baking should be covered with parchment and pour cedar kernels on top in one layer.
- If necessary, various spices or sugar can be added to the nuts.
- The product takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Finished nuts are removed from the oven, giving them time to cool.
Important! During heat treatment of pine nuts, it is necessary to control the temperature and duration of the procedure. If this product is properly prepared, then the healthy fats contained in the nuclei will not oxidize, forming harmful free radicals that can harm the body.
Also quite convenient and modern way of heat treatment of pine nuts is their roasting in a microwave.
To prepare, you must perform the following steps:
- Whole nuts are cleaned of debris, washed thoroughly.
- 60–70 g of wet grains are placed in a paper bag, the edge of which must be wrapped.
- The bag is placed in the microwave and the frying mode is set (1 minute).
- When the cooking time is over, the bag should not be removed for another 2-3 minutes. This will make it possible for nuts to get their own warmth.
- After this time, the bag is taken out, and its contents are poured into a clean container.
- After a quarter hour, the kernels can be peeled and eaten.
Nuts and recipes
Cedar seeds, tinctures and decoctions based on them are considered very useful. This product can partially solve the salt deposition problem. Chopped kernels with honey can be used for peptic ulcer, skin diseases. And also this product has an immuno-enhancing function. Eating pine nuts before bed can help people with insomnia. This is explained by the content of tryptophan, which stimulates the production of melatonin. Regular consumption of pine nuts will help with problems with the gastrointestinal tract, and also removes toxins from the intestines well.
In any case, it is necessary to take into account the fact that this product is high in calories and contains a lot of fat (60 g of oil in 100 g of nuts). Therefore, when overeating the considered grains, problems with the digestive system may occur. It is also not recommended to use this product for people who have cholelithiasis and high cholesterol.
Did you know? Residents of Siberia since the 17th century have been collecting the nuts in question for their use in medicine and cooking. Since then, the coniferous plant producing these tasty and nutritious seeds has begun to be called the “Siberian cedar”.
Due to its pleasant taste, these nuts are very common in cooking. This product is an additional ingredient in various salads and sauces. In Mediterranean cuisine, pine nuts have long been used as a spice for main courses. Kernels go well with meat, fish, vegetables and fatty cheeses.
Today, this product is part of many desserts: cakes, cookies and various pastries. In this case, pine nuts also have a decorative function. Among many culinary delights with the ingredient in question, only a few have gained worldwide popularity.
Pesto sauce with pine nuts
6 15 minutes
pine nuts kernels
2 tbsp. l
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Cheese cut into small pieces.
- Put the garlic through a press or chop with a knife.
- Fry the kernels of pine nuts in a frying pan without oil until brown (it is also acceptable to use a raw product).
- Place all the ingredients in a blender bowl and beat thoroughly until smooth.
- Salt must be added with extreme caution, as the cheese already has a salty taste.
Ready sauce can be served with fish, meat dishes, as well as salads.
Did you know? As a result of archaeological research in the Mediterranean countries, scientists claim that the seeds in question were eaten more than 7 thousand years ago. This suggests that a pine tree with pine nuts was already growing during the Stone Age.
Pork with Pine Nuts Recipe
4 30–40 minutes
boneless pork (fillet)
pine nuts kernels
4 tbsp. l
grated lemon peel
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Pork off.
- Put a pan with 1.5 liters of olive oil over medium heat.
- Fry meat on both sides for 6 minutes until browned with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pork to another bowl and cover.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and pine nuts kernels and fry them for 1 minute. After add lemon juice with zest and honey. Warm the entire contents of the pan until thickened, but not more than 2 minutes.
- Rinse and chop the parsley. Transfer pork and greens into a pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes, intensively pouring meat with cedar sauce.
Thus, the considered nuts, which are considered the seeds of some members of the Pine family, due to their excellent taste, are a popular ingredient in various culinary dishes. Despite the fact that this product is consumed raw, experts recommend eating heat-treated seeds. Pine nuts, peeled or in shell, are fried both in a pan and in an oven or microwave.